Pressure washer hoses are, as you would expect, under a lot of pressure from the inside. So, over time, the hose fittings are likely to leak. A leak at the fitting can be dangerous, leading to loss of water or even injury. Even if it is just a water leak and not a gas or oil leak, it is still something that needs to be fixed immediately. Otherwise it could cost you a lot of money to fix it back after total breakdown.
One way of fixing a leaky fitting is by replacing the whole hose. But this can be costly and time consuming. Fixing leaking pressure washer hose connectors is quick and easy once you know how to do it.
If you have a leaking connector on your pressure washer hose there are two main culprits; damaged O-rings or a damaged male or female coupling.
Fixing the Connectors
1. First, you're going to need to disassemble the connector at either end of the hose. You'll see there are some screws on both sides that hold the connector together. Use a screwdriver to remove these screws and place them somewhere safe so they don't get lost.
2. Once you've removed all of the screws, split open the connector so it looks like two pieces. Inside you'll find two O-Rings that are placed around the valve stem.
3. Simply remove these old O-Rings and replace them with new ones.
4. Once you've installed new O-Rings make sure they are properly seated against the valve stem and then reassemble your connector making sure you don't lose any of the springs or other small parts inside there.
5. Take the hose off of the gun.
6. Find a washer that fits snug in the end of the hose.
7. Use some silicone caulk to glue the washer into place inside the end of the hose. This will help prevent leaking at the connection point.
8. Put some Teflon tape on the threads of your connector and tighten it to your gun/machine as normal!
Using an Air Hose for Pressure Washers
Using an air hose for a pressure washer seems like a crazy idea. But the truth is, it works exceptionally well.
In fact, some of the biggest manufacturers in the industry recommend using an air compressor and air hose to power their pressure washers.
So what do you need to know about using an air hose and how to use one?
How It's Attached
When you use an air hose for pressure washers, you'll be able to attach it easily to the water outlet on your model. The air compressor itself will typically plug into a standard household electrical socket for power. When connected properly, it should work well without posing any safety concerns for you or your family members.
Why Use an Air Hose?
Pressure washers may use an air hose to remove excess water from the application. Depending on the type of application you are using the pressure washer for, you may find this unnecessary, but there are certain situations where it is quite useful. Learn more about the air hoses from the Giraffetools collections.